DVDPA takes dogs from shelters and owner surrenders. We realize this is a tough decision for any owner to make. Our surrender process is as uncomplicated as possible but we do require some information from you and the dog should be healthy, spayed/neutered, and up to date on shots.
If you are having problems with your Dobie, please contact us as soon as possible and we’ll try to help you keep your dog.
If you’ve decided to surrender your Dobie, please contact us as soon as possible and we’ll guide you through the surrender process. We’ll contact you about your dog and talk to you about any issues, personality and likes/ dislikes.
PLEASE be honest with your answers. We realize there are special behavioral problems with Dobies, and may still accept them. We just need to know as MUCH as we can about your dog so that (s)he can be placed in the proper home. Please have the following information ready as you will be asked many questions:
- Your name, address, and phone number(s)
- Name and age of your dog Is your dog registered?
- Who was the breeder?
- Date of last vaccinations
- Name and phone number of your vet Is your dog crate trained?
- Is your dog house trained?
- Does your dog honor fences?
- How is your dog with children? Adults? Other dogs? Cats?
- Is your dog spayed or neutered?
- Is your dog on heartworm prevention?
- Date of last heartworm check?
- Special toys your dog loves to play with Activities your dog enjoys (ie: swimming, playing ball, etc.)
- Reason you must surrender your dog
Before DVDPA can accept the surrender of a dog by its owner, you must provide the following information:
- Complete and return DVDPA’s release form relinquishing the dog to DVDPA.
- Supply documentation that Dobie has been spayed or neutered. If the dog is not spayed/neutered, please consider doing so before surrendering the dog (it is less stressful for the dog and may help the dog be adopted more quickly).
- Supply documentation that the dog is current on all immunizations including DHLPP, Rabies, and Bordatella.
- Supply any/all records relating to the dog’s previous history (shot records, vet records, AKC paperwork, obedience diplomas, ect.).
- Inform us of any health and behavioral concerns with the dog and sign a surrender contract giving up all rights to the dog.
Who to Contact
To surrender your Dobie, please email Sharon Schiele or call 610-935-0896.